What do you know about palliative care? Test your knowledge by choosing true or false for the following statements.
Palliative Care Week 11-17 September 2022
Palliative Care Week will take place from Sunday 11 to Saturday 17 September 2022.
This year’s theme is Palliative Care: Living as well as possible. Palliative Care Week aims to raise awareness of the difference palliative care can make to people with life-limiting conditions, carers and families throughout the island of Ireland. Working with partners and colleagues across the palliative care sector and with other organisations and individuals interested in health and well being, All Ireland Institute of Hospice and Palliative Care (AIIHPC) has facilitated an annual Palliative Care Week since 2014.
Why Palliative Care Week ?
- Misunderstanding about palliative care persists, meaning some people who could benefit are less willing to seek it, potentially missing out on improved quality of life
- It comes under the broad understanding of public health approaches to palliative care
- It is in line with key palliative care policies across the island of Ireland
2022 Key messages
- Helps to improve the quality of life of a person with a life-limiting illness.
- Provides a care plan tailored to the individual needs of the person including the physical, emotional, social and spiritual needs of the person, their family, carers and those important to them.
- Enables the person to continue to do some of the things that they enjoy, such as hobbies and spending time with family.
- Supports people at any age and at any stage of their illness.
- Helps people to talk about what is important to them and to make decisions about their care and their wishes.
Provides physical supports for symptoms, and practical supports through to enable the person to maintain or regain a good level of independence.
If you would like to get involved in Palliative Care Week 2022, please contact Yvonne McCahill at AIIHPC on email@example.com
Keep up to date with news of Palliative Care Week and other AIIHPC activities by subscribing to our mailing list through the link below.